road.trip: i'm coming home!

20 pxImage via Wikipedia



Oh, how it feels like the Best Week Ever (does that show still come on?)! Max and I hit the road this past week to make the 1400 mile road trip to our home state of Alabama, and back. It's always quite an adventure on a trip home because I abhor driving and Max is not shy about expressing his disdain for Atlanta traffic, "amateur" drivers, and the pointlessness of speed limits on the interstate (smile). But, we take the journey anyway, nervousness, road rage and all, because we miss our families dearly.


 We intended for this trip to be a little more of an adventure than the ones in the past, going off the beaten path and visiting roadside attractions. Unfortunately, the $3.45/gallon gas prices did not agree with us taking a joy ride. We did, however, get to make one stop through North Carolina to Biscuitville, a local breakfast chain with a cult following.  The location we visited was a tiny little spot, but the breakfast biscuits were delicious!

 

My Biscuitville smile!



Max tweeting about the deliciousness

The first destination on our trip was to attend my best friend's wedding, where I served as the Maid of Honor. This was my first time serving in this capacity, but it was a great experience. Not only was I able to be there for the beautiful bride, but I also got a chance to be with my other girlfriends whom I haven't seen in over 2 years!





Being a part of a wedding is a completely different experience than being a guest; there is constant work involved! I was running around most of the time helping my bff bustle her dress and buckle her shoes, taking pre- and post-wedding pictures, and fetching random things from here and there. The toast I had to give in front of nearly 300 guests had me so nervous that I had no time nor stillness to sit and enjoy the delicious brunch spread that they served. Nevertheless, I got through the toast and had a great time with old friends. I even caught the bouquet during the toss!


If you're not too familiar with wedding traditional, its a common folk belief that the unmarried woman who catches the bouquet will be the next to marry....who thought it would come true so soon???

Max proposed to me!

My, what a surprise!
The day after the wedding, we headed farther south to my hometown to visit my family. Pulling into the driveway, my mom and niece (the little lady who coined the nicknames "Max" and "Dig") ran out of the house to greet us and I was so happy to see them! So caught up in the excitement of seeing my mommy for the first time in over a year, I was totally thrown off when I turned my head and saw Max on one knee with a small box in hand. Mostly everything after that was a blur. I do vividly remember the surprise on my mom's face; though she had given Max her blessings earlier, she had no idea he would do it then. Other than that, I couldn't even remember if I said yes (Max said I did)!

Not to go into long, lovey-dovey soliloquy on our relationship, but Max and I have been together for over 7 years and I could not imagine spending the rest of my life with anyone else. We have seen each other grow and helped each other feel great in who we are. He is my best friend and I love him so much! Our engagement and wedding celebration will be such exciting and meaningful times for us and our families, and we look forward to sharing it with you.

Though we made lasting memories and milestones during our trip home, it felt great just to spend time with our mothers, grandmothers, sisters, brothers, other relatives, and friends. Going home always gives me the warm fuzzies, and nostalgia is a feeling that always puts a smile on my face.
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.